I was on my way into work and heard it on the radio. I taught kindergarden at the time. I went into a friends classroom when I arrived to school and watched in horror for a few minutes before I picked up the kids on the playground. We didn't say anything to them about the attacks and pretended everything was normal for their sakes (but I kept thinking how their lives would forever be changed). My teaching partner pulled the TV around to our desks which were sectioned off from the kids and had it on without the sound - eerie to see the images without any commentary. On occasion, I would come over and take a peek between activities. I watched the kids at recess that day and it was a strange disconnect as they ran and laughed and played while the rest of the country was in shock. Oh, to be blissfully ignorant! My principal came to me and another faculty member that day whom she knew to be a Christian and asked us if we would be available during lunch to talk and pray with any staff members who needed to talk. She was not a Christian, but even on a day like that, non-believers seemed to want to believe in Someone who made sense when nothing else seemed to make sense at all. Several people came in to talk that day and heard the gospel. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost a loved one on that day, nine years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment