One of the things I really enjoy about summer is the local fruit stand. I like buying produce that is locally grown and fresh. Recently, I discovered a new store in town that sells fresh produce and meat all year round! Hooray! So I have been checking out what they have (can't tell you how yummy my oranges are right now from Danny's farm). This week I decided to make a vegetable soup. I used to make this for its healthy goodness, but the taste and texture of cooked cabbage makes me shudder quite a lot! So after YEARS of straining out the veggies once it cooked and throwing them out, it dawned on me to puree them!
8 cups tomato juice
8 cups of water
1 cabbage slices
1 large onion
2 zucchini
5 carrots
3 tsp. chicken bouillon
salt and pepper to taste
Throw everything in a LARGE pot and simmer for 1 hour. My pot was a little small so I only used half (4 cups) of the water to simmer in the pot with the veggies.
Once it cooled, I strained out the veggies and threw them in another pot with the remaining 4 cups of water. In small batches, I pureed the water and veggies. After each batch, I added the puree to the remaining tomato juice stock.
And yum! I froze 3 bags of this soup and have 4 containers ready to eat in the refrigerator. I took some to work yesterday, poured it into a mug and drank it since it's thin enough. Great flavor, no icky cabbage to chew and all the benefits of a mug full of veggie goodness! Next time, I might add tomatoes, cauliflower (mom thought it might thicken it up a bit - good idea), and some squash. If you try it, let me know what other veggies you add!
2 comments:
That looks good! I love soup!
I'm not a tomato soup fan (although I love tomatoes), but I think it'd really like this! I'll have to try it sometime.
Post a Comment